Monday, December 6, 2010

Random

So, last night I couldn't fall asleep and I was thinking about something creative to write, and this is what I came up with:

A few years ago, I was asked to write an essay for the Arizona AIMs testing. I wrote an essay comparing people to cakes. I didn’t think it would go over too well, but to my surprise, it did. So, here’s another shot at it.

People are like cakes, well cakes that are developing, that is. Every year, moment, and even time period of a person’s life is like a layer of a cake. Some layers may be bland, some full of spice, a few possibly dry as dirt, others sweet to the taste, and some just don’t make for a very good cake at all (hopefully though, these layers are thin and undetected after many rich sweet layers are placed on top).

Moment after moment, year after year, these cakes grow in height. Now, you might be picturing a ridiculously large cake. By the end of its layering, yes hopefully it is tall, but don’t be imagining a cake the size of a large dog or shall I include small horse. Imagine a wedding cake. Recently married, I have done plenty of wedding cake researching and boy do wedding cakes come in all shapes, designs, and colors. So picture a tiered wedding cake with 3-4 different levels. The shaping and coloring of it, however, is all up to you.

Once the layering is complete its time for the frosting, the sweetest part yet! Yes, I am talking about old age. My wish, is by the time I’m done creating all these layers on my very own Nicole Howard cake, that I will have enough sweet moments as a grandma and cane walking woman to dab on a rich layer of homemade frosting… none of that store bought nonsense. Now, you might be thinking, “Dab?” “That doesn’t make for a very pretty cake.” I use dab for two reasons. One, even if I live an ideal elderly life, it will never be a period without bumps and smudges. Two, I’ll be old---I’m the maker and creator of this said cake and I doubt my hands and eyes will be up to par for icing.

We are the creators of the cake, we decide what it will taste, smell, and look like by the end, what kind of masterpiece it will become. Many cakes will go unfinished, but may be rich in flavor. Others may be fully completed, however, lacking any flavor at all. So what will yours be? You are the creator. Yes indeed, life circumstances are undeniable, these may add to a developing dry, sour tasting, or just plain gross layer of cake. However, it’s your choice whether or not you will let it become even more gross and dry. Do you add a little cinnamon here, or nutmeg there (It’s Christmas—so I’m thinking of Christmas flavors), or some sugar and oil? What does it take to turn that potential gross layer into something delicious? This of course, is much easier said then done.

So where am I in my cake development? I’m only beginning my masterpiece. I’ve had some pretty rich moments in life, making for some delicious layers. This past year and a half though has probably made for the sweetest layer. I don’t know many time periods that will top it. This layer includes living in London, seeing the white cliffs of Dover, standing on the docks where my ancestors began there journey to America, meeting my newest niece, being proposed to, and marrying my best friend. It’s made for a pretty tasty layer, indeed. Once, this cake is done I will be happy to bite through it.

There have been a few layers, I wish I could go back and throw in some vanilla. But I can’t, it’s cooked and already been added upon. Once my masterpiece of a cake is complete, it will be these layers, which will make me appreciate the rich ones. Plus, a cake too sweet, just makes for a stomachache.

I just hope by the end of my cake process, I will be proud. I will be proud to say, “hey, this is all me, this is my creation. Bon Appetit!"

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you posted! This is a most wonderful metaphor and I hope that there is a layer of Lora somewhere in this Nicole cake because I'm pretty sure I have a pixie stick/chocolate milkshake/snowcone flavored layer of Nicole smack dab in the middle of my cake ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. a post. i almost didn't know what to do with myself.

    great thoughts, nicoletta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a perfect analogy/metaphor/simile, whatever, you are the english major :)

    that is truly poetic - brings to light all the different moments we have. I hope you have lots of yummmy gooey layers from me :)

    ooooohhh, I just thought of something, I might be screwed - I CANNOT MAKE THE SUZY-Q ICING! Maybe a nice fondant or ganache will work alright on my cake :)

    ReplyDelete